6/30/10

Fun with molecule relationships (‘stereochemistry’)

" When we heard at first that [John Brown] was dead, one of my townsmen observed that "he died as the fool dieth"; which, pardon me, for an instant suggested a likeness in him dying to my neighbor living. Others, craven-hearted, said disparagingly, that "he threw his life away," because he resisted the government. Which way have they thrown their lives, pray?...I hear another ask, Yankee-like, "What will he gain by it?" as if he expected to fill his pockets by this enterprise. Such a one has no idea of gain but in this worldly sense. If it does not lead to a "surprise" party, if he does not get a new pair of boots, or a vote of thanks, it must be a failure. "But he won't gain anything by it." Well, no, I don't suppose he could get four-and-sixpence a day for being hung, take the year round; but then he stands a chance to save a considerable part of his soul,--and such a soul!--when you do not. No doubt you can get more in your market for a quart of milk than for a quart of blood, but that is not the market that heroes carry their blood to "
- Thoreau, on the death of John Brown

If 2-chloro-butane could speak

C1: Top of the morning to you two-chloro-butane!
C2: Most formal greetings to you dear Sir!

C1:. Pray, your resemblance to myself has quite taken me aback – are we related?
C2: Yes yes! Our resemblance is quite striking isn’t it? I see you’ve dressed your #2 carbon quite like mine with four distinct groups, we seem to be two chiral gentlemen.

C1: Is that a chlorine dash I see?
C2: Haven’t you heard? Wedges are old fashioned, I do pride myself on staying updated on the latest organic styles, but if you have a wedge, does that make you an R or S?

C1: Let me check my identification enantiomer card dear chap.
Oh dear I am an S – on account of the lower hydrogen group being placed in the back – I looked so young in those days, the counter clock-wise order of the groups is so obvious.
C2: Oh – so I must be an R since I am the opposite. Care to talk more over fish and chips?

C1: Most absolutely! However I wish to drop this dialect.
Shit’s def poppin off at 4PM at benzene’s. 3Chlorobutane may swing bye – it’s going to be epic. Drop the sir crap if your coming, lets make tonight totally beast
C2: I got you

No comments:

Post a Comment